What is Renewable energy?
The original renewable energy directive (2009/28/EC) establishes an overall policy for the production and promotion of energy from renewable sources in the EU. It requires the EU to fulfil at least 20% of its total energy needs with renewables by 2020 – to be achieved through the attainment of individual national targets. All EU countries must also ensure that at least 10% of their transport fuels come from renewable sources by 2020.
In December 2018, the revised renewable energy directive 2018/2001/EU22 entered into force, as part of the Clean energy for all Europeans package, aimed at keeping the EU a global leader in renewables and, more broadly, helping the EU to meet its emissions reduction commitments under the Paris Agreement.
The new directive establishes a new binding renewable energy target for the EU for 2030 of at least 32%, with a clause for a possible upwards revision by 2023.
Why is it important for hps?
- The heat pump industry strongly supports high renewable energy targets from which it indirectly benefits. Indeed, heat pump are a renewable energy technology making using of ambient, geothermal energy or energy in sewage water.
- Heat pumps also contribute to renewable energy targets, both the overall targets and the new specific (yearly increase) target on renewable heating and cooling introduced as non-binding request to Member States under the 2018 Renewable energy directive.
- The renewable energy directive also promotes minimum shares of renewable energy in buildings, which is supported by EHPA.
- To keep reminding the Member States who fail to account air heat pumps under their final renewable energy use.
- To lobby for the sectorial target to be increased and made binding. EHPA also closely monitors the still-to-be-started works on a European definition of renewable cooling.
- Alongside the heat pump industry, to look at the implementation of the new Directive at national level and reflect on possible on future improvements for its upcoming revision.
- To assess and create a position on further cooling discussions
Additional Information (photos, webinars, publications, related news)
Renewable Energy Directive